Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kim Diehl Class

Before I tell you all about my Kim Diehl class, let me clarify something. It was brought to my attention that maybe I had a bad marriage without romance in it. That is not the impression that I intended to leave by my last post. Actually, Randy and I have an excellent relationship. Oh, we have had our ups and downs through the years, as does any marriage. I think that is how you grow and come closer. We don't have the traditional kind of romance in our marriage though, you know, like gifts of candy, flowers and candlelight dinners. That is just not us. We are romantic in unusual ways, but it works for us. Like Randy finally had a night off last night, when I got home from my class, we went out to dinner for our anniversary. We didn't go to a nice, romantic, sit-down restaurant. We grabbed a couple of burgers from our favorite place, some fries and a couple of milkshakes. We then went to the tiny little airport in our town, sat in our car ate our dinner and enjoyed some time just for the two of us. Just simple things to add to the deep bond of our 31 years together. You see, the airport is a special place for us. Randy has a private pilot's license, he owned an airplane at the time that we met and our first date was a ride in that airplane. So it was a nice romantic evening for us, remembering when we fell in love!

Now on to the quilt class. It was soooooooo much fun! I learned a great deal. I have always loved applique, but hand applique was something that I couldn't get the hang of and I'm way to slow at it. The way Kim taught us looks like hand done, but so much faster, done with your machine. She uses freezer paper, so you have finished edges. I see lots of applique in my future now. :~) There are so many quilts out there that I have wanted to make but, the applique has always scared me away. Well, not anymore!!! If you have the chance to take a class from her, I encourage you to do so. If not, at least get her books and learn her way of doing it. She is the nicest person, very friendly, funny and gives one on one time if you need it. I have been a fan of hers for a long time, I have all 3 of her books and I never realized that she lived just 30 miles from me! I knew that she lived in Idaho, but I didn't know that it was near my little corner of Idaho. ;~)

This is what we were working on. It is from her "Simple Seasons" book. She showed us how to do the big stitch quilting with perle cotton. So glad that I went!! She is doing a class today on one of her quilts from her next book, I sure wish that I had been able to go to that one too!
Here is how far I got on mine. I hope to have it done for this Halloween, but the hand quilting may take me awhile. I am going to work on it today, inbetween loads of laundry.




This is a picture of a quilt that she is working on for her next book, "Simple Comforts", due to be out in April 09. She said that it will be a book of all lap quilts.



Hugs&Stitches, Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment