Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"Blackberry Twilight" is on our Bed!

I finished "Blackberry Twilight" yesterday. Ethan is not feeling well, so we stayed home from church and spent the day reading, watching Discovery Channel and a couple of his favorite movies. While I was spending time with him and showering some extra TLC on him, I sewed the binding on. Yes, Cindy, CJ, I sewed it on by hand! lol Well, first I machine stitched it to the front then sewed it to the back by hand. Not really my favorite thing to do, but I do really like the way it looks when done that way, as opposed to stitching it all by machine. Will I do all of my bindings this way in the future? Nope! Just on the most special projects. I still think machine stitched binding holds up to wear and tear better, and as I want most of my quilts to be used, loved and dragged about, I will stitch most of my bindings by machine. Shh, don't tell the quilt police, okay. :~)


I had a disaster though. Can you see where the purple bled onto the cream?

It just had to be in the center!! Argh!@!#%*)_*&*%#@#@ I am really mad! I never pre-wash my fabrics, I always throw in a color catcher sheet and I have never had any problems before. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how I can remove it? If removing it is even possible. This quilt is so big, I think that the color catcher sheet didn't work well, because it was so stuffed in the washer. I always wash my quilts, in COLD water, after they are finished. I love the soft, crinkly look. The odd thing is that, I used this same fabric in other places on the quilt and this is the only place that it bled. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated! It doesn't really show up that bad, when you look at the quilt overall. But, I know it is there, so it drives me crazy! Does that Retayne or Synthropol work to remove dyes that have bled or only to prevent the problem in the first place? Randy loves it anyway and wants it to stay on our bed, so there it will stay. :~)

Hugs&Stitches, Jul♥a

3 comments:

  1. i am so sorry that your quilt bled. i wish I had words of wisdom, but have not had that happen yet.

    i do think your quilt is fabulous. I agree with Randy. We are most critical of our own pieces. it may be more noticeable to you than to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Synthropol is the one to get the dye out although I usually try to use it before the quilt has been dried. I don't prewash but between Color Catchers and Synthropol I do OK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if you wash it again and put one of those dye catchers in the wash that will help. The quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete